Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Lame to walk, blind to see, torturers to be set free?

Re: Iran: Trial in Torture Deaths Begins
Associated Press
March 9, 2010

To the Editor:

I found this extremely short article in your paper both interesting and disgusting. The mere idea of being tortured to death makes my stomach churn, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. I could not imagine a worse way to die. I could also not imagine a worse existence for the families of those three who were tortured to death. According to Iran's judiciary, "there is no effort to punish [them]", so these families get to live their lives imagining and picturing the gruesome deaths of their beloved all without any redemption. Personally, if I were tortured to death for my beliefs, then I must be doing my job. However, if I knew that my son was being tortured for his beliefs, it would torture me as well. These reports are still new, and who knows if the Iranian judiciary will changes its mind, but for now, I am sickened that these men are getting away with these horrendous acts of brutality and malice.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that releasing them is horrible. What is interesting is that both the families of the tortured and the torturers are being tortured internally. The families of the tortured must live without their loved ones and the families of the torturers must live with what their loved ones did. I feel that there are better ways to get something out of people, buy them a diet coke and talk.

    ReplyDelete